If you’re visiting Puerto Vallarta and love exploring nature, then a hiking excursion through the Sierra Madre Occidental is for you. The half-day hike will take you through beautiful mountain ranges and tropical vegetation, all with spectacular views along the way.
What is the Sierra Madre Occidental?
The Sierra Madre Occidental is an extensive mountain range system and volcanic rock plateau that runs through northwestern and western Mexico. Canyons, gorges, and rivers cut through the 700-mile-long range.
There are several excursion options available, from just a couple of hours to half-day hikes. Many tours include pick up and drop off from your hotel, so you don’t have to worry about getting lost while finding your way to the meeting spot.
Joining a tour provides you with an English-speaking guide who will explain the different points of interest and the beautiful nature you encounter. Your guide will bring you to the best viewpoints and even a refreshing river where you can cool off from the hike. Throughout your excursion, you’ll get to see nature at its finest, from vibrant parrots and macaws to unique orchids and trees.
Preparing for Your Hike
Hiking with a guide means you don’t have to do much planning on your own, but you’ll still need to do some preparation! Here are some things every visitor should bring for their excursion:
- Comfortable shoes: Make sure your shoes are comfortable enough to walk in for several hours, and ones you don’t mind getting a little dusty.
- Sunscreen: Some stretches of the hike may not have much shade or cover from the sun.
- Insect repellent: Wandering through a subtropical jungle means lots of bugs and critters. Keep yourself protected against mosquitos with a good repellent.
- Swimwear and towel: If you plan on swimming in the river, be sure to bring your bathing suit and a towel.
- Light clothing: Light and moisture-wicking clothing will keep you dry and cool throughout the hike.
- Camera: Capture all of the beautiful wildlife and greenery you encounter.
- Extra cash: Bring enough money to cover any shopping for souvenirs or food you might want to purchase during the tour.
Contact Your Vacation Plan Today
At Your Vacation Plan, we turn dreams into reality. All you have to do is tell us what your ultimate honeymoon or luxury getaway looks like, and we’ll take care of the rest. Contact us today for a consultation.